WASWO X WASWO. INTERVIEW 1.
Text & Photo: Diego Alonso & Alexeja Pozzoni.
INTERVIEW 1. RETURN HOME PAGE 7O7D.
Photographer and writer most commonly associated with his chemical process sepia-toned photographs of India, and also hand-colored portraits made at his studio in Udaipur, Rajasthan.
1. What is the first thing you do in the morning?
I drink Instant Coffee with lots of milk and lots of sugar. Then I sit in this chair and smoke one Bedie (indian hand rolled cigarettes).
2. If you can choose any person in the world (alive or dead) who would you like to invite for a tete-a-tete dinner and what would you ask that person?
Edward Curtis. I relate a lot to him. He was often dismissed as a bad photographer but he thought as an artist, like me. I don’t document. I take pictures of people… Their beauty will show by itself.
3. Which is your favorite childhood memory?
My grandmother, she taught me so much. My family had no taste but when I went to her house there were all these beautiful things.
4. How does internet affect your life?
It’s a horrible drug, but without it I would know how to do my banking and many other things… And I do have a little FB addiction… I would say a love. Hate relationship.
5. What is your main source of drinking water?
We get recycled plastic water bottles delivered and fill it into a brass container
6. What is your spiritual belief?
Most of my life I have been quite an atheist but I always had this transcendental belief that there is a larger consciousness… I do live my life as there is a greater power.
7. What is the most precious thing you own?
A little money clip that I bought in Florence . It’s a memory of the best times in my life.... Not because of the money it holds, but it’s the sentimentality of the object.